ALAHNA: WELCOME TO LAH LAH LAND REVIEW

It is very rare that my musical ear is so quickly intrigued by a UK RnB artist, however for the first time in a long time I have been drawn to speak on someone who I feel deserves more than a mention.

The artist in question is Alahna. unfortunately I was unaware of this Singer/Songwriter before my indifferent evening at the Sunday Show styled Young London Event on the weekend.

Alahna performed two songs at this event, and did relatively well considering the poor acoustics at Clerkenwell House. I will not get into the fact the live band drowned out most of the artist's vocals, but Alahna despite this still showcased her ability to engage a section of the audience.

After her stint on stage the customary handing out of material followed. I can't lie I usually decline any gestures of nature as post rave DJ line outs and hungry artists outside Footlocker on Oxford Street have ruined this sentiment, but strangely I ignored my usually "better judgement" on this occasion.

I can't describe precisely why I did, because I really struggled to hear, but I will probably put it down to her very polite and humbled manner on stage plus I am a sucker for a warm smile!

After a sequence of uninspiring acts including Bread Boys from Dough Gang.... (I'll wait for you to stop laughing too) I still can't get over that shit! We made our way back home.

What followed for me personally was somewhat surprising... We managed to listen to Alahna's Mixtape Welcome To Lah Lah Land on repeat during our journey for at least a whole days worth of travel.

The mellow sounding beats accompanied with solid vocals and an elements quirky fun loving strings, made the very easy on the ear! These days good songwriters come at a premium but this CD proves that Alahna definitely possesses a gift in this department.

The tracks in particular to look out for are the ballads "Dun Dun (Falling in Love with you)" which reminds me of early 90s RnB group SWV, "While you were sleeping" and the smoother heart felt "Come over"

Don't get it twisted it is not all heartbreaks and 808's like Alahna said at Young London there is something for everyone. The up tempo "Pop It Like gum" and "Arrest me" all lead up to a personal favourite the funky "All I wanna do" The funky House route is definitely an avenue I feel she can explore further on future projects.

If like me you are intrigued you can grab Alahna's Mixtape at:

www.megaupload.com/?d=ONBYCVZY

Also stay up to date with her activities via twitter @AlahnaOfficial

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SAIGON THE GREATEST STORY NEVER TOLD

An Open Letter; The GOAT

Best Ever Eleven?