WIZ KHALIFA - ROLLIN' PAPERS REVIEW

Alright before I get down to it I'd like to apologise for my lack of activity over the past month! I know its been a whole month since y'll last heard from me (I know you missed me) but like I've explained to the few people I know personally I been busy lately! Still let me knock the proverbial dust of my pen and get down to my latest review...



Wiz Khalifa's Rolling Papers album. For those who don't know otherwise this isn't Khalifa's debut album just his commercial arrival had to be stamped with something other than a mixtape called "Kush and Orange Juice" Just a little background infomation on the Pittsburgh native Cameron Thomaz (yes with a Z at the end, only God knows why). He has been around for a lot longer than people realise, in 2006 he independently released Show and Prove, a tentative effort which garnered little success in the charts but however amassed a small following for the 18 year old. This was followed up by a Rolling Stones "Artist to Watch" major deal and subsequent parting of ways from label Warner Brothers, before making a more substantial contribution with another independent album Deal or No Deal in 2009.



Deal or No Deal coupled with; Mixtape releases, good relationships with a few popular emerging rappers such as Curren$y and and overall switching to a more melodic style engineered a deal with Atlantic Records, and as they say the rest is history!



Rolling Papers Wiz Khalifa's 1st album backed by a major label! Aside from this he was able to grab peoples attention with the Annoying or Catchy "Black and Yellow" depending on which side of the fence you sit! I am however going to keep it 100 with you... personally I didn't really feel the dudes music leading up to listening to the album... I don't smoke and find it difficult to engage in people talking so passionately about something I don't relate to... But I however have to give him a little credit for turning all these prospective negatives into a somewhat good album.



Rolling Papers is a very relaxed easy listening album, I am not going to class it as rap per say but he does attempt to do a little bit on some cuts. I kid you not if you take my advice and listen to it do not expect miracle word play and gripping lyrical content (which Wiz himself admits on the album). This is more about feel good vibes, girls and getting money and high! The one thing which made this a more pleasurable listening experience is the hooks, the melodic almost Max B lip singing exhibited is either a love or hate it type of thing but I can listen to the garbage Max says on his hooks so this defo tops that! The joints I will highlight that are worth a listen to are the second single "Roll Up" not gonna elaborate on that but it is not what you think... "Hope and Dreams" a song that incorporates his elements of fear of not making it in the rap game but at the same time a belief that he has a uniqueness! This leads me to my Jam "Star of the Show ft Chevy Woods" I can't stress enough how much y'll need this in your tape deck! Melodic smooth all you need for a casual journey or even just tryna relax after a long day!



Still In summary I know this isn't gonna be everyones cuppa tea and I'm gonna get a bit of backlash from my real rap heads (don't judge me I'm still on your side!) but I think considering the current lack of decent music out it is worth a listen you may be surprised with what you find!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SAIGON THE GREATEST STORY NEVER TOLD

An Open Letter; The GOAT

Best Ever Eleven?